The trick here is to take it nice and slow, keep an eye on the area around the engine so you don’t catch or damage anything as you slowly lower. This would be easier with two people but it is perfectly feasible to do it on your own as I did. Keep lowering until the clutch pressure plate is just in front of the gearbox output shaft and check again that everything is as square as you can. Once the out put shaft is lined up with the centre of the pressure plate gently push the engine back so that the shaft
engages with the teeth in the centre of the pressure plate. A little wiggle of the engine and a twitch of the crankshaft dog nut may be required to get these to line up. I must admit this job was made much easier by having the attachment on the hoist which allowed me to adjust the angle of the engine as required. Continue to push the engine back so that the end of the shaft sits inside the spigot bearing. You’ll know when this is done because the flywheel cover will sit almost flush with the bell housing.
Next I replaced the bolts/washers onto the flywheel cover studs and done them up finger tight. Then tightened them up fully as you would wheel nuts (in a cross pattern and not just working your way round.) Once these are secured hoist the engine up a touch so that the piece of wood supporting the gearbox can be removed. Just a quick reminder here, if you’ve forgotten to replace the clutch release bearing curse like hell and remove the engine again so you can replace it. Luckily I remembered mine (honest!)
Replace the engine mounts and lower the engine onto them before replacing the nuts and washers. Remove the hoist and check all the fittings for security. Now replace all the items that you removed prior to lifting the engine out in a methodical fashion and ensure BEFORE you try and start the engine that there’s oil and water present. Last but not least, tighten up the dog nut to 200 lb ft. I would like to say that I started this job on a Friday evening and had it running by 3 o’clock Sunday afternoon. But it didn’t, it took
months. It takes time to sort out all the little problems your likely to come across along the way including sourcing parts, cleaning, derusting, painting, etc. Factor in things like getting the time to carry out the work and of course paying for it all and in the end its quite a time consuming exercise. Just take it one step at a time, focus on the job in hand and you’ll get there in the end.
© Copyright seriesdiesellandrover.com 2013 All rights reserved