W

HOME PAGE

1 2 3 4 5

Continued….

1 2 3 4 5

Next I fitted the flywheel housing and seal along with the flywheel complete with new spigot bearing. The clutch was lined up and fixed in place next before the timing marker was bolted into place. The engine at the moment was set just past TDC so that none of the pistons were at the top of their bores to enable the valve timing to be set. The timing is covered in greater detail in another section of this site as its quite involved.

I set the valve timing using the method described in the manual which basically involves getting the exhaust valve on number one cylinder at its maximum open position and lining up the crank so that the ‘EP’ mark is lined up with the pointer on the flywheel housing. Once set the timing chain, tensioner etc were replaced and after which the front cover was bolted into position. The front cover was fitted with a new crank seal and mud shield prior to fitting as the original rivets securing the

shield had to be drilled out and replaced with self tapping screws as recommended by the repair manual. Following this the new water pump was fixed into position along with a new by pass water hose. Next the water pump pulley and fan were attached as was the crank shaft pulley in readiness of the fan belt being attached. New bolts, spring washers and flat washers were used throughout and as always any threaded

holes had a tap run down them to ensure they were clean and in good order. As an extra precaution I used Loctite medium thread lock ‘n’ seal on the fan bolts to ensure the fan didn’t part company with the pulley. Next I refitted the oil feed pipe on the back of the block. Before doing so I thoroughly cleaned out the pipe and banjo bolts and used new copper washers on re assembly. Its very important to ensure this pipe and fittings

are clear of any debris as the holes in the banjo bolts are very small and any blockage will starve the cylinder head of vital lubrication. I cleaned mine out by soaking in paraffin then blowing out with an air line. Next on the list was the oil filler pipe. This consists of a gasket, a baffle plate, another gasket and then the oil tube itself. The cap was in good order so was just cleaned and painted.

Next thing to do was to set the fuel Injector pump timing, this is quite involved and is covered in detail in another section of this site. Once the pump drive and timing pointer was set I got on with cleaning up the manifolds. The inlet manifold along with the butterfly valve was thoroughly stripped, checked  and cleaned and re painted with Aluminium paint.  The exhaust manifold had had one of its three studs broken off at some  

ENGINE

© Copyright seriesdiesellandrover.com 2013 All rights reserved

JOBS COMPLETED

HANDBRAKE

PROPSHAFT

ENGINE

STEERING

DIVIDER

FUEL TANK

GEAR STICK

FOOT BRAKE

SWIVEL HOUSING

REFERENCE

CAPACITIES/WEIGHTS

IDENTIFICATION NUMBERS

TORQUE SETTINGS

PDF DOWNLOADS